Thursday, April 12, 2012

Skookumchuck winter steelhead

3/10/12
My Dad and my brother and I did an early morning trip to the Skookumchuck River. We fished from sun up till 10:00. My brother and I both left with a fish. The winter fish don't seem to wake up till about a couple hours after sun up and stop biting about two to three hours later. We were drifting a peach and white Aerodrifter, size 1 hook, 3' 12lb. Leader, and an 1/8 oz weight. For this river the musts are a shorter 7'6" to 8' pole, my favorite is Shimano medium to medium-heavy, and a net because there is a lot of trees along the bank and few landing spots.


Where to fish - Fish the the tail outs. Look for fish in the shallow head of the rapids. Don't try to catch the fish you can see move up stream there are more that you can't see, those are the ones you'll get. We fished below the salmon hatchery (the videos above are there) and a park in Bucoda, WA. ( the 21lb. Fish below was caught there)
3/3/12

Caught at the park in Bucoda.

3/1/12 up by the salmon hatchery on bobber and nightmare jig and a chunk of shrimp.




Loser Takes All!

No comments:

Post a Comment